Most of you know, I’m currently fundraising for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. My goal is to raise over $5000 this season, with the culminating event being the Nike Women’s Half Marathon in San Francisco this October 14th.
Many people don’t exactly know the mission of LLS. Here’s a blurb taken straight from the lls.org website.
The mission of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families.
LLS is the world’s largest voluntary health agency dedicated to blood cancer. LLS funds lifesaving blood cancer research around the world and provides free information and support services.
Our Key Priorities will ensure that: The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society helps blood cancer patients live better, longer lives.
- Advance the diagnosis and treatment of blood cancers through continued funding of academic research, the therapy acceleration program and other special initiatives
- Proactively establish a research agenda and direct a portion of research spending to specific areas of unmet medical need for leukemia, lymphoma & myeloma
- Participate directly in blood cancer therapy development by expanding research beyond academic collaborations and biotech partnerships to include pharmaceutical companies and/or venture capitalists
- Develop a services agenda for patients and their families to address their information and support needs
- Inform blood cancer patients and improve access to the latest individual therapy options and blood cancer clinical trials
- LLS is the key source of information and services for patients throughout their cancer journey
To read more about the LLS Mission, please visit http://www.lls.org/#/aboutlls/mission/
Please consider supporting the LLS mission by donating online to my fundraising website: http://pages.teamintraining.org/los/nikesf12/mbahnson
Any amount helps and goes toward helping all those individuals and families touched by cancer.